Emergency Youth Shelter Nassau Haven
Nassau Haven is a 12 bed co-ed emergency shelter, providing short-term housing, case management and respite* services to runaway and homeless youth in Nassau County. Since 1982, Nassau Haven has served young people ages 10 to 20. Nassau Haven staff is available 24 hours a day for intake and referral. Nassau Haven is a voluntary program. Residents work with staff to address those issues and problems which resulted in the need for housing and services. Youth must agree to accept services and should contact the program directly to request services.
Nassau Haven Provides
- Assistance with securing appropriate, long term housing or resolving family conflict so the youth may return home.
- Family Mediators are available to discuss any issues or difficulties facing a youth and their family.
- Families and youth an opportunity to take a break from one another to avert/address crises through respite housing.
- Case management services to guide young people and help them access the services that they need in the community.
- Educational and vocational assistance.
- Medical and mental health resources.
Responsibilities of Residents at Nassau Haven
- Residents actively plan with staff to address their immediate problems as well as work toward meeting their long-term goals.
- Residents maintain daily responsibilities such as chores, curfews, work and/or school, etc.
- Residents are expected to respect the rights of both staff and other residents.
Nassau Haven is certified by the New York State Office of Children and Family Services as a shelter for runaway and homeless youth. Services are provided in accordance with the New York State Runaway and Homeless Youth Act. *Respite services are provided through a primary source and do not follow normal RHY guidelines.
Margaret Christy, Supervisor, Nassau Haven
Address is confidential.Nassau Haven is a 12 bed co-ed emergency shelter, providing short-term housing, case management and respite services to runaway and homeless youth in Nassau County. Since 1982, Nassau Haven has served young people ages 10 to 20.